The Brewster Natural Resources Department held an Open House on March 27, 2019 to welcome Brewster residents to their new spaces at 1657 Main Street. The previous Brewster Fire Department building has been re-purposed into the Natural Resources, Conservation, Harbormaster and Shellfish departments.
The new spaces offer advantages over the prior ones that had extremely limited space for personnel and records, and had no dedicated area to conduct meetings with the public. The Natural Resources Department’s equipment had been spread out around Brewster in numerous locations. Most of it, including several boats and plowing equipment, is now securely stored in the former Fire Station garage.
The new headquarters includes a water testing laboratory, cold storage to support the town’s aquaculture programs (the Department purchased the refrigeration unit from the former Satucket Farms farm-stand that recently closed), and space for Americorps personnel who work on numerous Natural Resources activities.
The Natural Resources Department had formerly been located in a 1950s-era building on Main Street that had once served as the Town’s Fire Department, Police Department, and then the Department of Public Works. Natural Resources previously had equipment in a garage for some of its equipment, but it was demolished as part of the new Fire Station project.