Planning Board Mission and Responsibilities
The Planning Board’s role is to guide the development of the Town in alignment with state law and Town bylaws. It also considers and prepares amendments to the Town’s zoning bylaws and related regulations.
The Board operates under Massachusetts General Laws Chapters 40A and 41 and Chapter 179 (Zoning) and Chapter 290(Subdivision) of the Brewster Town Code.
The Board has 7 members and members are elected. The Planning Board meets the second and fourth Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm at Brewster Town Hall.
If you would like to make an appointment to meet with the Town Planner, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Alexander Wentworth||Vice Chair||2027|
The Planning Department's mission is to support the Town’s development and resource protection plans, policies and regulations, aimed at preserving and enhancing the economic, social and environmental health of the entire community.
Our responsibilities include:
- Providing direct administrative support for the Planning Board in carrying out its regulatory and planning functions. The Planning Board’s permitting jurisdiction includes stormwater management, the subdivision of land, site plan review and certain use special permits. The Planning Board is also responsible for comprehensive local planning and proposed zoning amendments.
- Providing direct administrative support for the Zoning Board of Appeals, which is responsible for reviewing zoning variances, zoning appeals and certain special permits, including those related to zoning nonconformities.
- Supporting and collaborating with other Town departments in the administration of development bylaws and the review and issuance of development permits.
- Assisting homeowners, businesses and others in the public to understand the Town’s development permitting and bylaw requirements as well as planning policies and initiatives.
- Providing professional and technical analysis on planning and regulatory matters and initiatives to other Town departments, officials, boards and committees.
- In coordination with other relevant Town departments and officials, representing and communicating the Town’s planning interests and positions.
- Providing direct, administrative support for the Vision Planning Committee, which is charged with preparing a Local Comprehensive Plan for the Town.