Marriage Licenses

License Information

Marriage Licenses may be obtained at the Town Clerk's Office. Both persons must be 18 years of age, there is a three day waiting period, both parties must apply in person. A medical certificate is not required. Visitors and part-time residents should note that a marriage license obtained anywhere in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts may be used anywhere in Massachusetts (ie, you can obtain a license in your home town within Massachusetts and still have your ceremony in Brewster). 

Waiting Period

Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?
Yes, there is a mandatory three-day waiting period. While Sundays and holidays are included in the three days, the day the application is made is not. For example, if you apply on Friday, your license will be issued on or after Monday. Check with your town clerk to determine whether you must pick it up in person, or if it can be mailed.

Obtaining a Waiver of the Waiting Period 

May we marry before the three days for good reason?
Yes, if you can obtain a court waiver after filing intentions. According to MGL Ch. 207:30, if both parties are residents, or non-residents, or one of each, and they need to dispense with the three days, they may do so by applying to the judge of a probate or district court to have the license issued without delay, after filing intentions with the clerk. Under extraordinary or emergency circumstances, such as if the death of either party is imminent or the female is nearing the end of her pregnancy, an authorized request by a minister or clergyperson or an attending physician shall suffice and the clerk can issue the certificate without delay.

How do we obtain a waiver?
You should file your intentions first with any city or town clerk. Then an application for a waiver must be filed by both of you at a probate or district court. After a hearing, the court may issue a certificate allowing the marriage license to be issued, and the marriage performed without delay.

Cost of License

What is the cost of a marriage license?
The fee to file for a marriage license in the Town of Brewster is $25.00 If you would like a certified copy after the original document is returned to this office there is an additional $10 charge.

Age Requirement 

At what age may a man or woman marry?
A Massachusetts resident may marry if he or she is 18 years of age or older. A birth certificate may be required to show proof of age.

What if one or both of us is under 18?
If either party is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court where the minor resides must be obtained before the marriage intentions can be filed.

Medical Certificates

Is a medical certificate required before a license can be issued?

Divorced and Widowed Applicants

What if one or both of us had been divorced?
You are not required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. If you are uncertain as to the absolute date of your divorce, you should contact the court where the divorce was granted. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.

Is there any special requirement for a widow or widower who is remarrying?

Witnesses to Ceremony

Do we need any witnesses present at the ceremony?
Massachusetts statute does not require that witnesses be present at your ceremony. However, if a member of the clergy performs the ceremony, you should ensure that you are in conformity with the appropriate religious tenets.

Clergy Persons and Justices of the Peace

What are the responsibilities of the member of the clergy or the justice of the peace?
The member of the clergy or justice of the peace must complete and sign the original license and return it to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued.

What should be done if an out-of-state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage?
If an out-of-state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage, the clergyperson must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This certificate, which is issued by the Public Records Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, is to be attached to the original license and returned to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. Click here for the Out of State Non-Resident Clergy - Petition to Solemnize Marriage, or contact:

Division of Public Records
Secretary of the Commonwealth
One Ashburton Place, Room 1719
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 727-2836

Is it possible for a layperson to solemnize a wedding?
Yes, it is possible for a non-minister or non-justice of the peace (such as a relative or family friend) to obtain special permission to perform a marriage from the Governor. Call the Governor's office at (617) 727-5787 to obtain an application for a one-time special appointment to solemnize a marriage. After approval, a fee is paid to the Commissions Division of the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.

More Information

Are there any special requirements if one applicant is an immigrant?
If either of the parties has arrived as an immigrant from a foreign country within five days, the application may be filed at any time before the marriage, and the certificate shall be issued at any time after the filing.

Massachusetts Marriage Links: